Maybe There's A Loving God

Saturday, November 15, 2008

The Virgin Mary
I have a strong devotion to the Virgin Mary, but I do not worship her as many Catholics have been accused of. I do believe that she was created perfect and that she is the highest being in all creation, (second to her Son). I also believe that she has been given many graces. Indeed, she is full of grace, yet she is not powerful unto herself, her power was given to her by God, himself. This is a fact that many who criticize Catholics and their devotion to Mary seem to get confused on. We do not "see" the Virgin Mary as God or God like, she is a Divine Creation of the highest order, her abilities have been given to her by God.
To form a metaphor here, I guess I would say she was given something like a spiritual gold credit card. She does the kind of things that one does with a credit card. Without cash, the company which, extends credit backs up one's purchase. So too, God backs up the "powers" of the Virgin Mary. She knows her limitations, just as those who use a credit card knows their credit limit. The Virgin Mary has capacities given to her as no other creature has been given because of the dignity of her status as the Mother of God.
She has the position of being the avenue of all graces, because she is the one through whom, God, himself passed to get to us in the form of Jesus Christ, who is the embodiment of all graces. She is prefect in love and charity.
As she was given to us at the foot of the Cross of her Son, in the person of St. John, I for one claim her as my mom and friend. To me, she does not just exist in the spiritual realm, she is a real person, and I put a real person's claim on her. God granted the Virgin Mary amazing abilities to protect her children here on earth. As it is with all things of God, this is conditional on our faith and trust in her intercession for us.
What really makes me laugh is when people who come in the name of God and tell me not to pray to the Virgin Mary, instead go directly to God. Yet these same people will say they have a toll free number 24/7 open to take your prayer requests and they will pray for you, as will everyone in their ministry. So, it is okay to ask them to pray for us, or their friends to pray for us but not the Virgin Mary, the Mother of God, how does that make sense to anyone? This is real strange attitude to think that some one's prayers are stronger and more correct then the Mother of God. I think they are in grave error and don't quite get the picture of the dignity of motherhood to any child, especially when the child is God himself.
So I will take the "hits and the criticism about praying to the Virgin Mary" it is okay she is a good mom, she understands. She knows that I am not worshipping her I am praising God through her for the mighty works he has accomplished through her. I would invite all to "talk" to her if you are uncomfortable with the word prayer, she awaits hearing from you, she is the best mom ever, you will just love being around her. No matter your faith, your belief just go to her, talk to her, you have no better friend then you do in a mother, especially this mother called the Virgin Mary.

No comments: